RCES recently held a parent involvement activity to orient parents to the upcoming Smarter-Balanced Assessment. Grades K-5 have been preparing for several months and parents were recently introduced by taking and reviewing practice tests, watching how teachers have been preparing students with performance tasks and website resources for further information.
This assessment now known as the WV-MAP (West Virginia Measure of Academic Performance), will be administered to students in grades 3-11 across the state beginning in just a few short weeks.
Preparation for this and future summative assessments is the responsibility of the school and student families, and we appreciate all the parents that participated this day. Mrs. Carpenter's, Ms. Shannon, Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Kraynok's classes are pictured below.
RCES celebrated Dr. Suess Day on Monday, March 2nd. We had special readers in our building, including Mr. Wager, Superintendent, pictured below. John and Penny Haymond also came to read. Students were treated to green eggs and ham for breakfast, prepared by Mary Hyre. Mrs. Kraynok's class celebrated throughout the day and had special activities with parents.
Good news for last week:
The Lady Bucs defeated Hampshire High School to win the Region 2 Section 2 Championship on Friday.
- The BU Archery Team finished 3rd at both the Elkview and Shady Springs Competitions.
Brandon Tenney finished 4th at the State Wrestling Meet Saturday.
Junior High All-State Choir: Sean Crites, Kason Currence, and Star Winemiller.
- High School All-State Choir: Sarah Davis, Jeff Fabbricatore, Gavin Geissler, Brittany Lantz, Jordan Lofton, Gillian Ross and Megan Russell.
- The BUHS Bluegrass Band will be performing at the WVDE Arts Alive Showcase. Members: Logan Carpenter, Robert Russell, Caleb McNemar.
- Megan Clutter recently won the WVU Statler College Essay Contest for BUHS. She finished 2nd in the region.
- Overdue books are paid for with a canned food donation. Mrs. Westfall was able to donate over 70 cans of food to the Parish House.
BUHS students and staff are doing wonderful things all the time:
- Our girls swim team finished third in the state meet with Maggie Miller winning another state championship in the 100 yard backstroke and the 200 yard freestyle relay team consisting of Brooke Newcome, Kailyn Bosely, Patricia Loughney, and Maggie Miller also winning a championship.
- Our wrestling team finished third in the Region 2 tournament. Regional champions were Brandon Tenney and Jack Garcia. Other state qualifiers were Adam Thompson, Cody Underwood, Bryce Pearson, Logan Cutright, Christian Boggs, Drew Anderson, and Noah Lotter.
- The Lady Bucs Basketball team delivered Valentine's Day Cards and treats to the residents of Holbrook.
Upshur County Schools announces the release of bid specifications for a Broadband / Wide Area Network Solution. Bids will be opened March 13, 2015 at 2:00 PM in the offices of the Upshur County Board of Education, 102 Smithfield Street, Buckhannon, WV 26201.
To download a PDF of the bid documents, click the link listed below:
To download the original Microsoft Word doc file, click this link:
Good news for last week:
Our girls swim team won the region 3 meet. Our girls qualified for 13 events and the boys qualified for 8 events.
Star Winemiller, Sean Crites, and Kason Currence recently participated in the WV American Choral Director's Association conference and sang with the 7th-9th grade all-state choir.
Wrestling competed in the Big 10 Conference Championship last weekend and had Bryce Pearson finish 2nd, Cody underwood finish 4th, Brandon Tenney finish 1st, Ben Nolte finish 6th, jack Garcia finish 2nd, Logan Cutright finish 4th, and Christian Boggs finish 5th.